Hiring the right employees to fit the needs of your business is very important. You need a good screening technique for hiring potential employees. If you don’t have one, you could find yourself wasting a lot of time and money training employees that aren’t a good fit for your business. However, even with the best laid plans, you may still have a tough time hiring just the right employee. If your business has a high turnover rate, you know how exhausting the process can be.
There may be a way to help you through the process of finding the right employees for your business. Have you thought about creating an internship program? This may be a good process no matter what your type of business. An internship program would allow you to “try out” potential employees before you hire them.
If you’re not sure where to look, most high schools and colleges are very supportive of internship programs for their students. It’s a win-win situation. The student usually gets school credits for on the job experience and your business has the opportunity to find a great employee. Here are the pros of an internship program:
- Your business will get extra help and the opportunity to train and prescreen potential employees. You will also have the opportunity to assess how they do the assigned job, how they fit in with other employees, and deal with your customers.
- Students get real on-the-job experience and most of the time school credits for the internship.
- Internships makes great sense for entry-level positions. They also allow you to mentor a young person just starting out in the working world.
- When the internship is completed, if both parties are interested, you would have the opportunity to offer a job to a trained employee that would also be interested in a position at your business.
- In preparation of an internship program, you should write out the protocols for the basic tasks for each position you wish to fill.
Whether you need one intern or ten interns, the day-to-day work performance will give you a good idea if you have an employee worthy of your team. At Summit CPA we offer multiple resources that will help get your business on the right track. Contact our office at (866) 497-9761 to schedule an appointment with our advisors.