As a distributed company, not only do we serve our clients remotely but our team members work remotely as well. We understand the accounting, bookkeeping, cash flow management, and tax nuances of running a distributed company. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide the highest quality Virtual CFO services and 401(k) Audits while working remotely with (and for) our customers, and we couldn't do any of it without our amazing team.
Every month we spotlight one of our employees so you can get to know us better.
This month we bring you: Jade Dervan
1. What’s your role at Summit? How long have you been there?
I’m a Senior Accountant and I’ve been at Summit for nine months.
2. What drew you to Summit? What has changed?
The collaboration of wanting to try something new and make a change. Patrick, my colleague here at Summit, reached out to me. The remote aspect was the hook line and sinker. The vibe of company has changed—we have a smaller staff, we are often changing the business model, and changing software.
3. What has been your proudest moment at Summit?
When we received a really good reviews from a client that specifically mentioned me. The client gave us a 9/10 and attributed the 9 to me coming on board and said with me staying on it would be 10/10 next time! It was really special to have the whole team hear that from our CEO in a company meeting.
4. What’s your favorite quote?
"Anytime one of your fears comes true, you give fear the credit for having protected you until that moment. Which only encourages you to spend your whole life anticipating disaster." (From the book "Why is God Laughing?" by Deepak Chopra)
5. Describe Summit in three words.
6. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
I’m a CrossFit junkie—so someone athletic. Maybe Demi Moore perhaps.
7. If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Pepperoni pizza with extra cheese.
8. What are three career lessons you’ve learned thus far?
a. Have empathy in the workplace
b. Consider other opinions
c. Take breaks
8. What’s an overused phrase?
“No worries.” I don’t think that should be used in a professional work environment. Also, I just don’t like, “YOLO.”
9. What are you watching currently on Netflix?
Bob’s Burgers and The Office—my fiance and I watch it over and over again.
10. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed in your lifetime?
That’s easy! Wireless Internet. The torture of AOL dial-up while my Mom was trying to call home is a strong memory. And that screeching noise!
Want to work for one of the top 100 remote companies? Visit our career opportunities page